This quantity presents an interesting interdisciplinary method of the learn of gender and sexual kin within the Caribbean. Essays from sociological, literary, old, and political technology techniques hide the Hispanic-, French-, and English-speaking Caribbean parts and handle subject matters comparable to sexuality, homosexuality, tradition, the physique, the prestige of ladies, and the broader social family that tell those subjects.
Exploring the Intersections of Gender, Sexuality, and tradition within the Caribbean: An Introduction
Part 1. Theoretical Mediations on Gender within the Caribbean
1. Theorizing Ruptures in Gender structures and the venture of Modernity within the 20th Century Caribbean, by means of Violet Eudine Barriteau
2. The Globalization of the Discourse on Gender and Its effect at the Caribbean, by way of Hilbourne Watson
3. Caribbean Masculinity: Unpacking the Narrative, through Linden Lewis
Part 2. The Political Terrain of Gender and Sexuality
4. A Blueprint for Gender in Creole Trinidad: Exploring Gender Mythology via Calypsos of the Nineteen Twenties and Thirties, by means of Patricia Mohammed
5. renowned Imageries of Gender and Sexuality: terrible and Working-Class Haitian Women's Discourses at the Use in their our bodies, via Carolle Charles
6. "The notorious Crime opposed to Nature": structures of Heterosexuality and Lesbian Subversions in Puerto Rico, through Elizabeth Crespo-Kebler
Part three. Sexual Orientation and Male Socialization within the Caribbean
7. The position of the road within the Socialization of Caribbean men, by means of Barry Chevannes
8. Masculinity and gear in Puerto Rico, via Rafael Ramírez
9. Queering Cuba: Male Homosexuality within the brief Fiction of Manuel Granados, via Conrad James
Part four. Gender, Sexuality, and ancient Considerations
10. suffering from a constitution: Gender, organization, and Discourse, by means of Glyne Griffith
11. "It harm greatly on the Time": Patriarchy, Rape tradition, and the Slave Body-Semiotic, by means of Joseph C. Dorsey
Linden Lewis is affiliate professor of sociology and anthropology at Bucknell collage and the writer of various articles at the Caribbean.
Read or Download The Culture of Gender and Sexuality in the Caribbean PDF
Similar Criticism Theory books
The 1st ebook to ascertain Elizabeth I as a discovered princess, realized Queen examines Elizabeth's personal demonstrations of erudition along literary works produced by way of such political luminaries as Sir Philip Sidney and Robert Devereux, earl of Essex.
"Eco’s essays learn like letters from a chum, attempting to percentage whatever he loves with an individual he likes. .. . learn this fantastic, relaxing, and doubtless progressive e-book. " ―George J. Leonard, San Francisco overview of Books". .. a wealth of perception and guide. " ―J. O. Tate, nationwide Review"If an individual could make [semiotics] transparent, it is Professor Eco.
Examines the increase of the Russian empire as a literary subject simultaneous with the evolution of Russian poetry among the 1730s and 1840 - the century in which poets outlined the most questions dealing with Russian literature and society. This paintings exhibits how imperial ideology grew to become implicated in quite a number concerns.
Additional resources for The Culture of Gender and Sexuality in the Caribbean